Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Art's true value Part three purchase of art for placement in our homes




Guest Writer

Art's true value


(Part Three)


Money: the supreme icon

by Duane Snider
Old Coastal Tree 3
Oils painting on Canvas
14x11" By Michael Orwick
Available

Long ago I had the fantasy of buying a painting at a modest price only to find out years later that the dollar value of the piece had multiplied beyond reason. I'm ashamed to admit this was part of what lured me to buying my first piece.
Now that I've lived with numerous works of art for 20 years, the idea of selling any of my treasured icons seems crazy. They're like family to me. They've become a significant part of who I am, how I view the world and in what I believe.
Each piece of art I discovered and purchased became a building block in the growth and nurturing of my own unique identity.
The culture we live in today has evolved into an Orwellian nightmare of commercial and political homogenization. Fox Broadcasting has transformed news into propaganda and polluted the entire mainstream news distribution process. Madison Avenue bombards us with manipulative advertising with the sole purpose of brainwashing us into buying any and all junk they throw our way. We look out on the world through our media, our institutions and the places we work to find powerful forces bent on stifling the search for individual identity.
Consider that the selection and purchase of art for placement in our homes and work spaces is one of the few venues we have for exploring the unique aspects of our personalities. Our society has lost touch with this spiritual treasure that owning art offers. We have traded it for an obsession with the dollar value we place on any and all artifacts we choose to own.

My special thanks again goes out to Duane Snider
Part four and the final chapter in this fine essay tomorrow.
http://www.theartcounselor.com/


All the Best,


No comments: